Frequently Asked Questions
How can I register my child for camp?
What is the difference between enrolled and registered?
In our NEW online registration system – Please be sure you choose your camper, select the session they want (enrolled status), then pay the required deposit (Registered status). A space for your camper will not be guaranteed until deposit/payment is made.
Enrolled status allows parents with more than one child to “add the item to the shopping cart” add each child’s selected session to their dashboard.
Registered status is basically “checking out of your shopping cart”. This is making the required deposit or full payment for each of your campers. A space for your camper will not be guaranteed until deposit/payment is made.
Please log into your camper’s dashboard and be sure their status is “registered”.
My child is registered for camp but we need to switch dates. How can we do that?
Transfer emails can be sent to: email@example.com
If you have already registered your child and need to change your child’s camp date or program, please contact our office; if spaces are available you may transfer your child to a different program or different week at the same camp location without any financial loss.
If you need to transfer your child to a different site (i.e. West River to Manidokan), please contact our office. If spaces are available you may transfer your child to a different location with a $20 transfer fee/per camper/per transfer. This fee is separate from the cost of the camp program. Transfer fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
My child is registered for camp but I keep getting emails from CampWise, what have I missed?
Upon registering, you will receive a confirmation email from our registration system. You will then receive weekly emails concerning your account balance and Camper Forms.
Once your balance is paid in full, balance emails will stop.
Once your Camper forms are completed, those emails will also stop.
Do you offer before and after care for Day Campers?
Do you offer a sibling discount?
Why can't I change information about my camper?
As each week of camp approaches our staff and nurses need to review all incoming camper records knowing the information is final and will not be changed. The lock out date is set for seven days prior to the start of each program.
If your Camper Health form is completed and at 100% then you can make changes (if needed) UNTIL the lock-out date. After the lock-out date you will not be able to make changes upon login. If changes are needed you may contact our offices and request the camper record to be changed.
If a program/camp is full, do you have a waitlist?
We can “waitlist” campers for the choice of camp if that program has filled. This is first-come, first-served basis and you can elect to be waitlisted for a program in the registration system or you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Camper Name, Date of Birth, Gender, Email and Phone number, program(s) you want to be waitlisted for. We do not guarantee any available spaces and your credit card will not be charged if you are not moved into a program.
What happens if I need to cancel my registration?
All cancellations and refund requests MUST be made in writing/email form. We will not take cancellations over the phone.
- 100% refund (minus $25 processing fee) if the cancelation is more than one month before the start of camp OR if we can fill the camper’s space with someone from the waiting list.
- 50% refund (minus $25 processing fee) ff the cancelation is within a month and more than two weeks from the start date.
- No refund if the cancelation is within 2 weeks of the start date with the exception for documented medical/family crisis. These will be considered on an individual basis.
COVID-19 Related Cancelations
- If a camper cannot attend due to COVID-19 safety precautions (shows signs or symptoms within 14 days of the start of camp or must quarantine after possible exposure to COVID-19 and the quarantine period overlaps part/all of the camp session) we will first attempt to reschedule the camper for another program later in the summer. If rescheduling is not possible, we will process a full refund.
- If we cancel any camp session, we will first attempt to reschedule the impacted campers to another program later in the summer. If rescheduling is not possible, we will process a full refund.
- If a camper is sent home early or a program is ended early due to COVID-19 precautions there are no refunds.
What should I expect at camper check-in on the first day?
The first day we will check in each camper, make sure all balances are paid, visit with the nurse/staff to be sure all health information is accurate and medications are turned in.
Depending on the number of campers checking in, we can have some long lines. To help move things along quickly please be sure to have the following information:
- Pay all balances prior to the start of camp.
- Complete all health information in CampWise – this includes either scanning your health insurance card OR bring a copy of it front and back with camper’s name written on the copy. We will not have access to a copy machine during check in.
- Have all medications in original bottles with prescription labels or for over-the-counter medications, have campers name written on the bottle. Having all medications in a ziplock bag with camper’s name on it is very helpful to our staff. ALL medications must be turned into the nurse, so please have these out of luggage and ready to be turned in.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic – Arrival and departure of campers will vary and may be in alternating timed-schedules based on program or alpha by last name. Plans for this are still in progress and we will communicate to all registered campers as each week nears.
General Check in times:
West River Overnight Camps – Sundays at 3pm
West River Grandparents’ Camps – Mondays at 10am
West River Day Camps – Mondays at 8:50am
For a suggested packing list for overnight programs click here.
What should my camper bring to camp?
Please note we do not allow cell phones, tablets or devices that can connect to the internet.
What if my camper has food allergies or dietary issues?
Please note that if your child has an anaphylaxis risk to any allergen, they must bring an epi-pen to camp. They will not be admitted without an epi-pen available. This is a new policy!
Emergency medications (Inhalers, Epipens, etc.) that need to be closer to camper may be kept by the immediate counselor. Two sets of medication must be brought to camp and the camper must be able to self-administer and parents AND physician given signed permission.
Can I send my camper a package?
- West River is a NUT FREE facility! We prefer no outside food/candy be sent in order to eliminate unwanted allergy exposure when a guest is in our care. Candy can also be a pest-attraction if it is in the cabins, so we strongly encourage other items in a care package like puzzles, games, books, jokes, cards, small toys, etc.
- West River staff will check the mail on a daily basis, letters/packages are delivered to campers at meal times. With nearly 200 people on site each week it is possible that a package may get misplaced or delivered incorrectly, therefore we ask that you do not send anything of special value. West River staff cannot be held responsible for items misplaced or missing/late deliveries of packages.
- Make sure you have the correct address!
- Mail going through the USPS system should be address to: Camper FULL Name, Program Name, West River Center, P.O. Box 429, Churchton, MD 20733
- Mail going through Amazon/UPS/FedEx/other deliver should be address to: Camper FULL Name, Program Name, West River Center, 5100 Chalk Point Road, West River, MD 20778.
Can I request a roommate?
Yes, there is a space to do this in the online registration where you can request a roommate. Roommates must be registered for the same program/same site to be considered. For the West River Ultimate Middle School Camp, each camper must list the other in order for roommate requests to be complete (i.e. Johnny requests to room with Brandon and Brandon requests to room with Johnny).